The Ten Month Beat

An account of the ten months at the graduate school of journalism for the class of 2006.

9.10.2005

Barry Stupid

This article (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/10/nyregion/10about.html?8bl) is the dumbest thing I have read about Katrina yet. Thank you, Dan Barry. First of all, I don't know about you, but I haven't been trying to determine which was worse, Katrina or 9/11. Second, after spending some 600 words making moronic comparisons between the two, he says, "Which is worse? Let the question go." Um. He just wasted my time with 600 words inanely comparing the two, THEN determines it is an act of futility? He comes off as a self-obsessed New Yorker who has to relate every tragedy back to himself and his thoughts about 9/11. I'm aware tomorrow is the anniversary of 9/11, but still, this is a stupid article.

Is the New York Times so hard-pressed for news stories about Katrina that they have to have Dan Barry transcribe his therapy sessions?

1 Comments:

  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger kimberly kinchen said…

    although I'm a fellow self-obsessed new yorker, i had a similar reaction. instead of making me think about the forever nature of disaster, and how maybe we're all in it together in many ways, it just gave me a little shudder of revulsion.

    and worst of all, he left out 1927...but wait, then he wouldn't have had a story, because New Orleans was already "bound" to other american cities with their own catastrophic eras.

    grouchy and self-obsessed, I'm getting back to work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home